You’ll see how easy it is to publish a blog post. Once you login in to the WordPress backend, see the column on the left side of the screen. At the top you’ll see Dashboard, all the way down through Posts, Media, Pages, etc… down to Settings. It is from these links that you’ll access every part of this website. But for now we’ll just talk about blog postings..
It’s not involved as these steps make it look. I’m just trying to be as explanatory as possible. You’ll get the hang of it after your first one!
- Once on the dashboard, click on Posts from the left column menu. This takes you to where all your posts are created and stored – you’ll see all my dummy posts there that I used to help populate the site.
- Click Add New at the top of the page. From there it’s pretty much just a normal text editor environment, not dissimilar to Word.
- Input the title of your blog post. Below that you’ll see an editable area to enter your text.
- At the top right of the editable area you’ll see (3) tabs: Visual, Text and Page Builder. Visual is probably where you’ll want to be, at least to start off. This is what I used to create the dummy posts. It is super intuitive and easy and you can format text, quotes, paragraph styles and add images or video. It’s what I’m using to create this post right now. Text is a plain text editor, which accepts html code. And Page Builder is a fantastic tool that is the heart of this site. It’s what I used to create the whole website. We’ll get in to that down the road, if need be.
- Once you’re done creating your blog post you’re ready to publish! Look to the right of your screen and you’ll see a right-side column with a bunch of page settings. There’s only a couple that we’ll need to worry about. Of course you’ll notice the blue Publish button towards the top and that’s our final step, but first we need to take care of some business below that.
- Format. Unless you want a blog post that is just an image, video, etc. Standard is probably what you’ll use most of the time. Feel free to experiment tho!
- Categories. I’ve created some categories for you to start with, but of course you can create your own. Assign an appropriate category for your blog post. I assigned this to Business & Corporate Law simply because I wanted to use them all to illustrate their purpose.
- Page Settings. Leave Default. This determines how the page formatting looks. The check boxes: leave Default.
- Featured Image. This is the large image that will show as the header for your blog post, independent of any images you inserted inside the blog post in step 4. Click on Set Featured Image, browse to the appropriate image and select it.
- Scroll up and click Publish! You’re done! The blog post will immediately appear on the Blog page and at the bottom of the homepage under Latest Posts
As you experiment with creating blog posts, feel free to try different things. If you click Publish, then view the page and you want to make changes and edits, simply navigate back to Posts (left column) and click on the post you want to edit. Make any desired changes, then click Publish again. That it!